Occupational Health Referral - Guide and Consent
Why has your employer referred you to Occupational Health (OH) for an assessment?
There are several potential reasons and the most common are as follows:
- You are / have been absent from work due to a health condition, injury or illness
- You may be attending work but a health condition, injury or illness is affecting your performance
- You may have recently started employment with your employer and you require a new employee health screening to assess your fitness for work
- You are required to complete health surveillance as part of your employers occupational health and safety obligations
What to expect after your employer has made a referral?
The following actions will be undertaken by Ergability when you are referred to OH:
1. We may contact you directly to arrange the assessment or your employer may liaise with you directly to confirm the assessment. The assessment may be conducted over the telephone or face to face and this will be specified by your employer at the time of referral.
2. We will obtain your consent to conduct the assessment and issue a report to your employer following the assessment. Consent will be obtained through completion of your personal information at the bottom of this page and we will also verbally re-confirm your consent at the time of assessment. You may also request a copy of the fitness for work report. The report will be based on the information you provide at the time of assessment and the requirements specified by your employer at the time of the referral. The report may include the following information:
- Opinion on your fitness for work
- Nature of your reported health condition, injury or illness
- Expected timeframe for recovery and / or return to work
- Potential modified duties and / or workplace adjustments
- Recommendations to address any identified issues / barriers
- Functional education and guidance on health condition management
3. Following the assessment we may recommend further occupational case management / review assessments to help aid your recovery and / or return to work.
What information will be included in the report?
We include medical information directly related to your fitness for work and your reported health condition, injury or illness. This will generally include such information as the nature of your condition and its impact on your functional work capacity. Unrelated medical information will remain confidential. The only exception to this rule will be if the assessor considers that it is necessary to breach medical confidentiality, in line with the guidance provided by the General Medical Council . This usually means that we believe that there is a threat to the safety of others or that you may be a risk to yourself.
Ergability Limited in a registered data controller with the Information Commissioners Office (https://ico.org.uk) and lawfully processes personal data for the purposes of providing ergonomics, occupational health and rehabilitation services. We require your explicit consent to process this data which is necessary to proceed with an assessment and to provide a report to your employer based on the assessment findings. We retain your data for the duration of your employment with your current employer and for additional periods (after cessation of employment with your current employer) of 6 years (standard occupational health referral) and up to 40 years (health surveillance data) in line with best practice and relevant regulatory guidelines such as the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations. As a data subject, you have rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which include the right to withdraw your consent at any time and to lodge a complaint in relation to how you data is processed with the supervisory authority, the Information Commissioners Office.
What will happen if I do not consent to the assessment or issue of the report to my employer?
As previously stated, we require your explicit consent to conduct the assessment and issue a report to your employer. If you do not consent to our assessment, and / or issue of our report, your employer will have to use other information available to them. This may mean that they do not have the best available information to make decisions that may affect you and your employment.
Please read the following statements to confirm your consent to an occupational health assessment and issue of a report to your employer. Please add your personal information in the relevant boxes below and once completed click on Submit Consent
- I confirm that I have read and understand the above stated referral guidance.
- I agree that by completing my personal information below I consent to a fitness for work assessment and issue of a report to my employer following the assessment. I also understand that the assessor will also reconfirm that I have personally submitted this online consent form at the time of assessment.
- I understand that I can review the report prior to distribution to my employer by acknowledging this in the relevant section below. Any review will enable feedback on factual information stated in the report. N.B. If you request a copy of the report for review prior to distribution this will be emailed to your address stated below and you will have 48 hours to provide feedback prior to the report being distributed to your employer.
- I understand that I can request a copy of the fitness for work report by acknowledging this in the relevant section below. N.B. If you request a copy of the report we will notify your employer who will provide a copy of the report.
- I agree that this consent remains valid for any ongoing fitness for work case management / assessment reviews directly related to my occupational health referral.
- I understand that I can withdraw and / or amend this consent by contacting Ergability Limited in writing via email at email@example.com or via post at Ergability Limited, 5a Caerphilly Business Park, Van Rd, Caerphilly CF83 3GS.